Proposal to stipulate that “Automatic deactivation by the system of the direction indicator is required only if the lane change manoeuvre is initiated automatically, or if the direction indicator control is not fully engaged (latched position) during the lane change manoeuvre.”
45. The expert from AVERE introduced ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRVA/2020/9 as amended by GRVA-05-09. The proposal received comments (GRVA-05-58). The expert from the Netherlands expressed concerns with the proposal as the proposed amendment did not improve safety. GRVA adopted the proposal as reproduced in Annex IV of the session report (based on GRVA-05-09-Rev.3) and requested the secretariat to submit it to WP.29 and AC.1 as a supplement to the 03 series of amendments to UN Regulation No. 79 for consideration and vote at their June 2020 sessions.
34. The expert from AVERA presented GRVA-04-53, introducing ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRVA/2019/26, ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRVA/2019/27 and ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRVA/2019/28. The presentation contained videos, simulations and fleet data supporting the proposals for amendments to UN Regulation No. 79. The presenters referred to a driving demonstration organized by Tesla in conjunction with GRVA to justify their statements. The proposal received some comments. The contracting parties were not opposed to an evolution of the regulatory provisions based on experience, if the assurance of safety is provided. The expert from AVERE presented revised proposals GRVA-04-41 and GRVA-04-42 aimed at addressing comments received. GRVA noted that some parts of the proposals were also addressed by the proposal submitted by the expert from OICA and agreed to review it.
35. GRVA welcomed the proposal from the expert from the United Kingdom, who volunteered to lead activities on the review of the three AVERE proposals as well as the amendment proposal tabled by OICA in GRVA-04-08 with the aim to prepare a formal proposal until November 2019 in order to meet the deadline for submission of documents for the February 2020 session of GRVA.
36. The expert from OICA presented GRVA-04-03, introducing ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRVA/2019/24 proposing an alternative Human Machine Interface (HMI) for ACSF of Category C. The proposal received comments (and GRVA extended the discussion after the end of the official meeting time, without interpretation and without decisions or conclusions).
37. Following further discussion, GRVA adopted the proposal as amended (GRVA-04-43) and reproduced in Annex IV. GRVA requested the secretariat to submit it to WP.29 and AC.1, for consideration and vote at their March 2020 sessions.