GRSG-115-25 | UN R93: Proposal for amendments (EC)
UN R93: Proposal for amendments
In anticipation of improvements to truck-cab aerodynamics, this proposal would update Part III of UN R93 where the front under-run protection is integrated in the motor vehicle by defining the forward reference point as the same transverse location where the force is applied. This results in FUPs that, in the case of cab fronts that are curved, at least 400 mm must be maintained along the front contour of the cab, instead of the foremost point.
66. The expert from EC introduced GRSG-115-25 to update the provisions on frontal underrun protection approved as integrated part of the vehicle, in particular, to allow for a more rounded shape of the cab for a better aerodynamic performance. The proposal received a number of comments and a study reservation by the expert from the Netherlands.
67. The expert from EC volunteered to review his proposal taking into account the comments received. GRSG agreed to resume consideration of this subject at its next session in April 2019 on the basis of an official document.
44. Recalling the purpose of GRSG-115-25 presented at the previous GRSG session, the expert from EC proposed to update the provisions on frontal underrun protection to be approved as integrated part of the vehicle, and in particular, to allow more a rounded shape of cabs for better aerodynamic performance (GRSG-116-41). The proposal received general support from GRSG. The expert from OICA offered to send her contributions to the expert from EC. GRSG agreed to resume consideration of this subject at the next session on the basis of an official document.
50. The expert from EC presented ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRSG/2019/19 proposing to update the provisions on frontal underrun protection to be approved as integrated part of the vehicle, and to allow more a rounded shape of cabs for better aerodynamic performance. The expert from OICA introduced GRSG-117-36 highlighting the need for keeping exceptions for vehicles of Category G and proposed to cover the issue of the scope in a separate proposal.
51. Following detailed technical discussions and adjustment of language used (GRSG-117-55), GRSG agreed to submit it to WP.29 and AC.1 as proposal for 01 series of amendments to UN Regulation No. 93 for consideration at their June 2020 sessions and thus providing for reconsideration by GRSG at its 118th session.