74. The representative from Japan introduced GRPE-85-29-Rev.1 as Life Cycle Assessments (LCA) Methodology for Automobiles under GRPE. The Chair supported the idea of a workshop during the next session of GRPE and invited the secretariat to briefly introduce a possible concept for such workshop.
75. The secretariat described that a potential workshop could have a similar approach as the “GRPE workshop on low- and zero-emissions heavy duty vehicles” which took place during the June 2021 session of GRPE. He added the workshop would feature contracting parties and stakeholder usually attending GRPE, but also other institutions and initiatives working on the issue of LCA for automobiles, such as the European Green NCAP or the World Business Council on Sustainable Development (WBCSD) carbon transparency partnership.
76. The representative from the EC supported the proposal and called for a final decision on the creation of a potential IWG on LCA only after the workshop. The representative from the US supported the proposal and was eager to hear about other Contracting Parties plans to include LCA into their legislative process. The representative from Russia also supported the idea and showed interest in participating to share the experience of the country on the issue.
77. The representative from OICA supported the idea and was ready to cooperate to the workshop if need be.
78. GRPE agreed to host a one-day workshop and to further discuss the inclusion of the issue of LCA into its list of priorities and the creation of a dedicated IWG during its next session in June 2022.