98. The expert from OICA introduced ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRVA/2022/25, aimed at ensuring the continuity of the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Method E1337 for the measurement of the Peak Braking Coefficient (PBC) in UN Regulation No. 140, by introducing a reference to the new ASTM Standard Reference Test Tyre F2493.
99. The expert from Canada noted that a similar amendment had been introduced in the 01 series of amendments to UN Regulation No. 13-H. He inquired whether it would be needed for the original series too. The expert from OICA answered that it would make sense. The secretariat prepared the corresponding document, GRVA-14-55.
100. GRVA adopted ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRVA/2022/25 and requested the secretariat to submit it as a supplement to the original version of UN Regulation No. 140 to WP.29 and AC.1 for consideration and vote at their March 2023 sessions.
101. GRVA adopted GRVA-14-55/Rev.1 and requested the secretariat to submit it as a supplement to the original version of UN Regulation No. 13-H to WP.29 and AC.1 for consideration and vote at their March 2023 sessions.
102. The expert from CLCCR introduced GRVA-14-13, aimed at allowing the type approval of braking systems for trailers equipped with an electric regenerative braking system and/or a propulsion system in its axle. These new axles in trailers have the potential to convert the kinetic energy of an axle to supply electric systems (e.g. cooling units for reefer) as well as to support the motor vehicle (e.g. the tractor) during start-stop manoeuvres, during accelerating/braking. This leads to lower fuel consumption of the motor vehicle respectively cooling units (ergo lower CO2 emissions). The expert from CLEPA supported the proposal. The expert from OICA welcomed the innovation proposed by CLCCR, but could not support the amendment proposal, as drafted.
103. GRVA invited industry to work together on this item and requested the secretariat to distribute GRVA-14-13 with an official symbol at the next GRVA session.
104. GRVA resumed consideration of an amendment proposal to Annex 18 in UN Regulation No. 13 tabled by the expert from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. GRVA noted that the expert would submit a revised proposal, or a working document, possibly based on GRVA-14-32, potentially merged with the CLEPA proposal for amendments of UN Regulation No. 13 regarding EMB, for consideration at the next GRVA session.