Correction to the transitional provisions.
|Document Title: Proposal for the 01 series of amendments to Regulation No. 121|
|Document Reference Number: WP.29/2012/30|
Proposal for transitional provisions concerning the electronic stability control telltale and approval markings related to UN R121.
|Meeting Session: 156th WP.29 session (13-16 Mar 2012)|
|Document date: 27 Dec 11 (Posted 01 Jan 12)|
|Document status: Adopted text published|
This document concerns UN Regulation No. 121 | Location and Identification of Hand Controls, Tell-tales and Indicators.
This submission is related to the following document(s):
Working Party on Brakes and Running Gear | Session 72 | 20-24
16. GRRF noted the submission by the Working Party on General Safety Provisions (GRSG) to the June session of WP.29 of ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2012/30 proposing to remove the ESC tell-tale requirements from Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H and to insert these requirements into Regulation No. 121.
GRRF supported the text proposed in ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRRF/2012/14 and agreed to take the opportunity of these amendments to clean up the transitional provisions.
The Russian Federation introduced GRRF-72-30 summarizing the transitional provisions of Regulation No. 13-H. The Chair introduced GRRF-72-29 containing additional explanations. Following the discussion, GRRF decided to establish an editorial group to review the transitional provisions in Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H. The Chair committed to ensure simultaneous adoption, by WP.29, of ECE/TRANS/2012/30 and the final amendments to the braking regulations with regard to the ESC tell-tale requirements.
GRRF agreed to resume consideration of this subject at its next session on the basis of a revised proposal.
[Proposal intended for consideration at the June 2012 WP.29 session.]
Postponed since the proposal concerns the addition of the ESC warning light to UN R121 while removing the provision from UN R13/13-H. GRSG has prepared the R121 amendment, but GRRF has not completed its work on R13/13-H and endorsed the GRSG amendment. The changes should be adopted in November.
Consideration postponed to allow GRRF development of companion amendments to UN R13 to be finalized and the two proposals to be voted upon together.
15. GRRF had noted during its last session the submission to WP.29 by the Working Party on General Safety Provisions (GRSG) of ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2012/30 proposing to remove the ESC tell-tale requirements from UN Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H and to insert these requirements into UN Regulation No. 121. GRRF had supported the text proposed in ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRRF/2012/14. The experts from the Russian Federation and OICA proposed to clean up the transitional provisions and introduced GRRF-73-19 and GRRF-73-24, summarizing the transitional provisions of UN Regulations Nos. 13-H and 13 including explanations and useful details. The expert from OICA agreed to prepare an official document on the basis of these proposals for consideration at the next GRRF session. The Chair underlined the need for simultaneous adoption of amendments by WP.29 and AC. 1 and therefore suggested to keep ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2012/30 on the agenda of WP.29, awaiting the adoption by GRRF of amendments to Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H. He expressed his intention to inform WP.29.
11. The expert from Italy introduced GRRF-74-15, recalling the unintended deletion of paragraph 12.5. in Revision 2 to Regulation No. 13-H and proposing its reintroduction. GRRF agreed to this proposal and requested the secretariat to submit the proposal, as reproduced in Annex IV to this report, to WP.29 and AC.1 for consideration at their June 2013 sessions as draft Corrigendum 3 to the Revision 2 to Regulation No. 13-H.
12. The Chair recalled the purpose of ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2012/30 tabled by the Working Party on General Safety Provisions (GRSG) proposing to remove the ESC tell-tale requirements from UN Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H and to insert these requirements into UN Regulation No. 121. GRRF agreed during its last session on this proposal and on cleaning up the transitional provisions of Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRRF/2012/14). The expert from OICA introduced GRRF-74-16 proposing to revise the transitional provisions taking into account the corresponding guidelines by WP.29. The expert from the Netherlands presented GRRF-74-39, proposing to revise the transitional provisions that are currently valid and to delete obsolete transitional provisions. The expert from the Russian Federation introduced GRRF-74-32 updating GRRF-74-16. The expert from the United Kingdom volunteered to organize an ad hoc meeting aimed at preparing an official document on the basis of GRRF-74-32 and GRRF-74-39 for the next session of GRRF. The expert from the Netherlands requested the presence of the secretariat to guide the work on this issue.
68. Under agenda item 4.12.2 (Regulation No. 121), WP.29 agreed to defer this item, to its March 2014 session, and to consider it together with a concrete proposal by GRRF amending Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H.
[The World Forum agreed to keep this proposal on the agenda for consideration at its November 2013 session.]
13. The expert from UK, recalling the purpose of ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2012/30, reported on the outcome of the group of experts working on updated transitional provisions of UN Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H as reproduced in GRRF-75-40 superseding ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRRF/2013/27. GRRF noted a number of comments. GRRF agreed to reconsider ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRRF/2013/27, ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRRF/2013/28 and GRRF-75-40 at its next session.
45. Recalling the purpose of ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2012/30 (still pending on the agenda of WP.29), the Chair presented GRSG-105-30 clarifying the transitional provisions under paragraph 12.3. GRSG adopted the proposal, as reproduced in Annex IV of the session report, and requested the secretariat to submit the amendment to WP.29 and AC.1 for consideration at their June 2014 sessions as a Corrigendum to ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2012/30 (draft 01 series of amendments to UN Regulation No. 121), subject to a final review by GRSG at its next session in May 2014.
57. The World Forum considered the proposals for amendments to existing Regulations under agenda items 4.13.1 to 4.13.5 and agreed to keep them on the agenda for consideration at its June 2014 session.
39. Recalling the purpose of ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2012/30 and its Corr.1 (still pending on the agenda of WP.29), the Chair informed GRSG about the adoption by GRRF of the revised transitional provisions. He expected that draft 01 series of amendments to UN Regulation No. 121 would be considered by WP.29 and AC.1 at their June 2014 sessions.
European Commission unable to formally consider the editorial corrections proposed by the WP.29 secretariat for the GRRF revisions to the two braking regulations above. Therefore, the EC does not have authority to approve the combined package of proposals. Since this proposal is part of a package, including the braking proposals considered under the review of the GRRF amendments, this proposal along with the related GRRF proposals are postponed to the November 2014 session.