UN R128: Proposal for Supplement 
Download in .pdf format
Download in .docx format
Proposal to introduce requirements and test specifications for light emitting diodes (LED) substitute light sources, including to
- introduce provisions for LED substitute light sources into Regulation No. 128;
- introduce a new category sheet PY21W/LED based on LED technology into the Consolidated Resolution (R.E.5);
- establish equivalence criteria as guidance for specifying sheets for LED substitute light source categories. (These guidelines are intended for publication, with the agreement of GRE, on the GRE website under “reference documents”, similar to criteria for new filament light sources for head lighting (GRE-77-04). In addition, these criteria are being prepared for insertion in publication IEC 60810.);
- a draft proposal to IEC concerning the cap/holder system of the LED light source category PY21W/LED, for information to GRE (GRE-80-03) only, to show the interlock feature and the differences with the cap/holder system of its counterpart filament light source category PY21W.
9 August 2018
Proposal Status: Formal GR review
GRE-77-04 | GTB guidelines for introduction and evaluation of LED light source categories intended for forward lighting applications
GRE/2017/21 | Proposal for Supplement 7 to the original version of Regulation No. 128
WP.29/2018/30 | UN R128: Proposal for Supplement 7
WP.29/2019/19 | UN R128: Proposal for Supplement 9
Working Party on Lighting and Light-signalling | Session 80 | 23-26
17. On behalf of TF SR, the expert from Germany introduced amendment proposals to UN Regulation No. 128 for the use of LED substitute light sources (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRE/2018/39) as well as corresponding amendments to the Consolidated Resolution on the common specification of light source categories (R.E.5) (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRE/2018/40). GRE adopted the proposals and requested the secretariat to submit them to WP.29 and AC.1 for consideration at their March 2019 sessions as draft Supplement 9 to the original version of UN Regulation No. 128 and as draft amendment 3 to R.E.5. GRE noted that both amendments are part of the same package and should enter into force on the same date.