Proposal to harmonize the provisions of UN Rule No. 2 with those of the latest UN Regulations annexed to the 1958 Agreement and the EU Directives.
78. The representative of the Russian Federation introduced ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2013/132/Rev.1 and ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2013/133/Rev.1 proposing amendments to UN Rules No. 1 and 2. The representatives of Finland and the Netherlands indicated that the documents would need further amendments to be fully aligned with the corresponding EU directives. WP.29 noted that six out of the twelve Contracting Parties to the Agreement were EU member States and that any divergence between the UN Rules and the corresponding EU Directive would be unacceptable. WP.29 agreed not to hold the session of the Administrative Committee of the 1997 Agreement (AC.4).
6. The Committee reviewed the draft agenda of the 163rd session of the World Forum and recommended the amendments as indicated in para. 3 above. The Committee also recommended that agenda item 5.1 be considered by the World Forum and that the remaining agenda items on the 1998 Agreement be considered by the Executive Committee of the 1998 Agreement (AC.3). The Committee noted WP.29-163-17, transmitted by the representative of the Russian Federation, proposing amendments to the draft amendments to UN Rules Nos. 1 and 2 annexed to the 1997 Agreement. The Committee was of the opinion that full consideration of the informal document should be made by WP.29 under agenda item 7.2. The Committee recommended not to hold the session of the Administrative Committee of the 1997 Agreement (AC.4) until after a full consideration of WP.29-163-17 has been concluded by WP.29.
70. The representative of the Russian Federation introduced WP.29-163-17, containing amendments to the proposed amendments to UN Rules 1 and 2 (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2013/132 and ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2013/133). WP.29 agreed on a detailed discussion of WP.29-163-17 at its next session in November 2014 and requested the secretariat to distribute it with an official symbol. The representative of CITA was invited to prepare a document with the differences between the proposals for amendments to UN Rules Nos. 1 and 2, as modified by WP.29-163-17, and the recently adopted EU Directive (2014/45/EU) on this matter. The representatives of Finland and the Netherlands expressed their preference for aligning the date of entry into force of both the EU Directive and the draft amendments to UN Rules Nos. 1 and 2. The Vice-Chair proposed to investigate the use of transitional provisions addressing the comment expressed above.
112. No supplementary information was provided beyond agenda item 7.2. (see paras. 70 and 71 above).
74. The representative of the Russian Federation presented proposals to the World Forum for amending UN Rules Nos. 1 and 2 (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2013/132 and ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2013/133). WP.29 agreed to transmit the proposals to AC.4 for consideration at the March 2014 session.