This document is a revised version of informal document GRPE-62-17 intended to introduce provisions for heavy-duty dual-fuel vehicles into UN Regulation No. 85 in accordance with those proposed in the GFV proposal to amend Regulation R49.
58. The Chair of the informal group on Gaseous-Fuelled Vehicles (GFV) informed GRPE about the group’s activities (GRPE-64-24), reporting on the last four GFV meetings, on issues related to definitions, on the activities of the task force on Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), and on inputs for a European initiative on the emissions of vehicles using gaseous fuels. He informed GRPE on forthcoming GFV meetings and announced the intention of the group to meet in conjunction with the next GRPE session. The expert from OICA also informed GRPE about the same intention of the Heavy Duty Dual Fuel (HDDF) task force subgroup.
59. Having underlined the importance of the substantial work delivered on the HDDF amendments to UN Regulation No. 49, the Chair of the GFV informal group informed GRPE on the group’s intention to proceed with amendments to Revision 5 of UN Regulation No. 49, also announcing that an informal document on this is expected for January 2013. Having framed these activities in the context of a plan tackling HDDF retrofitted engines and vehicles, he requested the GRPE endorsement.
60. GRPE acknowledged the progress made by the group, endorsed the work plan suggested, and agreed that the group and the HDDF task force should meet in conjunction with the next GRPE session, in January 2013. GRPE also mentioned the need to consider the decisions suggested in the work plan in more detail, underlining that some of the solutions suggested may require a mandate from WP.29.
61. The Chair of the GFV group presented a proposal to amend UN Regulation No. 85 (measurement of the net power), in order to extend its scope to dual-fuel heavy duty engines and vehicles, enabling their type approval (GRPE-64-20, revising GRPE-62-17). He underlined the importance of a rapid adoption of this amendment, and urged GRPE to submit the proposal directly to WP.29 and AC.1 for consideration.
62. GRPE adopted GRPE-64-20, as reproduced in Annex IV (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/GRPE/64/Add.1), and requested the secretariat to submit it, on an exceptional basis, as official document to WP.29 and AC.1 for consideration at their November 2012 sessions, as Supplement 6 to UN Regulation No. 85.