Proposal to harmonize the provisions of UN Rule No. 2 with those of the latest UN Regulations annexed to the 1958 Agreement and EU vehicle inspection Directives.
72. The representative of the Russian Federation, Co-Chair of IWG on PTI, presented the revised proposal for Revision 2 to Rule No. 1 and draft amendments to Rule No. 2 developed by the group. He noted that the documents were harmonized with the provisions of the latest Regulations, annexed to the 1958 Agreement, and harmonized with the European Directive 2014/45/EU, Customs Union Regulation and other national legislations.
73. He explained that to ease the conditions for accession to the 1997 Agreement by the majority of Member States of the United Nations, the group proposed to exclude M1 and N1 vehicle categories from the scope of the Rules.
74. He, however, recalled that WP.29 at its 156th session (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/1095, para 84), had decided to extend the scope of the UN Rules to M1 and N1 vehicle categories, which had been reconfirmed at its 162nd session (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/1108) and that the corresponding draft amendments (ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2013/132/Rev.1 and ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2013/133/Rev.1) had been developed by the Russian Federation and CITA. He noted that a limited number of the Contracting Parties attended IWG on PTI and asked, therefore, for guidance by WP.29 on the subject.
75. The representative of Finland proposed to keep M1 and N1 vehicle categories in the scope of the Rules.
76. The representative from Hungary confirmed that for his country UN Rules covering M1 and N1 vehicle categories, harmonized with EU legislation, would be necessary.
77. WP.29 requested the IWG on PTI to continue the work on revising UN Rules Nos. 1 and 2 and to submit draft amendments, covering both M1 and N1 vehicle categories for the next session.