List of Participants
1. Adoption of the agenda
2. Approval of the minutes of the last meeting

The Russian Federation requested to amend its statement in the 3rd bullet point at page 2 as follows:

“The Russian Federation stated that his position is to make the Agreement better as it is now and it is more important than to minimize the amendments. But of course preferring to avoid too many amendments is self-explanatory. All explanatory notes should be in the separate notes.”

The report of the 12th IWVTA Informal Group meeting was adopted without any other comments.

IWVTA-13-01/Rev.1 | Final report of the 12th IWVTA informal group session
3. Report from the 6th Sub-group “UN R0”

The Sub-group Chair reported on major results and action items of the 6th Sub-group “UN R0” meeting. (Doc.No.IWVTA-SGR0-07-01)

UK stated none of the three major issues, i.e., obligations of CP applying UN R0, rights of CP applying UN R0, and treatment of “if-fitted” requirements was resolved. UK indicated the necessity to bring up these issues to WP.29.

The Russian Federation suggested that explanatory notes and Q & A sheets on the flexible IWVTA scheme would be useful in bringing up these issues to WP.29.

UK replied that a detailed report would not be necessary. Rather, a couple of pages summarizing only points of issues would be adequate.

Japan suggested that the issues could be brought up at the WP29 session in the following week so as to urge as many CPs to participate in Sub-group “UN R0” September meeting.

OICA pointed out the necessity to consider the list of technical regulations applicable to IWVTA.
The Chairman responded that the list would be considered at GR Chairmen IWVTA meeting held on June 24 in Geneva.

SGR0-07-01 | Major results and action items from the 6th subgroup "UN R0" meeting Outcomes from the sixth session of the subgroup working on UN Regulation 0 to enable the international type approval of whole vehicles.
4. Report from the 6th Sub-group “1958 Agreement”

The Chairman of SG58 reported on the good progress achieved in relation to the 4 main outstanding issues that were presented to WP.29 in March 2013.

The concern by Korea with regard to the references to self-certification in the revised 1958 Agreement has been successfully addressed by re-inserting the wording of the current Agreement referring to self certification.

The drafting proposals relating to the use of DETA are finalized and can be incorporated in the consolidated drafting proposals as soon as WP.29 has decided to establish DETA (which WP.29 did at its June 2013 session).

With regard to the procedure for establishing new UN Regulations and amendments to existing UN regulations, SG58 agreed not to change the existing “6 months notification procedure”, and to refer to WP.29 the decision about whether the majority threshold for voting new UN Regulations and amendments to existing UN Regulations should be increased.

With regard to the concern by Japan about the legal status of the “placeholder”, the SG58 Chairman hoped that the compromise proposal elaborated by the UN ECE Secretariat would pave the way for addressing this concern. As for Japan’s concerns about the level of ambition and the scope of the consolidated drafting proposals, he noted that Japan will submit specific proposals for consideration at the September meeting of SG58, and that the outcome of this consideration will be reflected in the formal document on the consolidated drafting proposals to be submitted to WP.29 in November 2013.

The Sub-group Chair made a presentation “Review of the 1958 Agreement”, summarising the drafting proposal elaborated aimed at achieving the objectives of making the 1958 Agreement more attractive and ensuring will remain a robust and reliable instrument built on mutual trust between Contracting Parties.

It was decided that this presentation would be made at WP.29 session in the following week because it was a good summary of the review of the 1958 Agreement. (Doc. No.WP.29-160-27)

The Sub-group Chair reported on major results and action items of the 6th Sub-group “1958 Agreement” meeting. (Doc. No.IWVTA-SG58-07-01)

SG58-07-01 | Major results and action items from the 6th Sub-group “1958 Agreement” meeting
WP.29-160-27 | IWVTA and the review of the 1958 Agreement Overview of the proposed plans to amend the 1958 Agreement as part of the development of an international whole vehicle type approval system.
4.1. SG58 subgroup guidance request

UNECE TD introduced the advice from OLA on proxy voting. (Doc. No.IWVTA-SG58-06-03-Rev.1)

It was agreed that UNECE TD would propose the detailed procedure for proxy voting by the September meeting.

SG58-06-03/Rev.1 | Advice from OLA regarding the amendments to the 1958 Agreement (revised) Responses from the UN Office of Legal Affairs to questions posed by the International Whole Vehice Type Approval (IWVTA) informal group concerning the ramifications of possible amendments under discussion within the group.
5. Proposed work schedule for revision of 1958 Agreement and establishment of UN R0

It was agreed to update the work schedule in November because the schedule could be heavily changed depending on the progress made at September meetings of the drafting sub-groups.

6. Progress report to WP.29

The Chair of Sub-group “UN R0” outlined the draft progress report on the review of technical regulations applicable to IWVTA (Doc. No.IWVTA-13-03). He asked if the progress report could be submitted to WP.29 in the following week after being reviewed by GR Chairmen.

OICA opposed to submit the progress report to WP.29 in the following week because some GRs had not reached agreement on the progress report.

The Chairman of IWVTA Informal Group agreed and it was decided not to submit the progress report to WP.29 in the following week.

Note: It was agreed that the progress report should be submitted to WP.29 at its November session at GR Chairmen IWVTA meeting held on June 24 in Geneva.

IWVTA-13-03 | Draft Progress Report on the review of technical regulations applicable to IWVTA
7. 1958 Agreement revision proposal for WP.29

The Chair of SG58 confirmed the commitment to prepare a formal document “Proposed revision of the 1958 Agreement” and to submit it to WP.29 at its November session, with as little as possible outstanding issues remaining unresolved. The challenge is to make good progress at the September meeting of SG58 to achieve this objective.

UNECE TD pointed out that the deadline for turning in formal documents is the end of August. However, UNECE TD continued that formal documents could be accepted until the beginning of October if no translation would be needed.

8. Adoption/transposition of revised 1958 Agreement into national legislations

The Chairman pointed out the necessity to ask CPs about their national procedures for the adoption and transposition of the revised 1958 Agreement and the time span needed for the completion of these procedures.

EC replied that this information would be provided for the EU as soon as it will have been clarified with the EU Member States.

9. Any other business

UNECE TD proposed the name of placeholder as SAPP (Schedule of Administrative Procedural Provisions) which would be annexed to the revised 1958 Agreement.

UK had concern that Schedules might be selectively applied, if they should be regarded as annexes and not as part of the 1958 Agreement.

The Chairman noted that proposed revision of the 1958 Agreement should be submitted to WP.29 as a package including placeholders in order to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding.

Next Sub-group meetings
September 11 (Wednesday): Sub-group “UN R0” meeting, OICA in Paris
September 12 (Thursday): Sub-group “UN R0” meeting, OICA in Paris
September 13 (Friday): Sub-group “1958 Agreement”, OICA in Paris